PUBLISHED ON May 30, 2020
It is important to stay safe and keep your mind busy to remain healthy. Worrying about the COVID-19 crisis can create unwanted stress and anxiety. In turn, this can cause muscle tension, soreness, and other physical discomforts.
One effective way to release stress and anxiety is through exercise. There are several ways you can exercise safely at home without the need of any special equipment or free weights. The only equipment you may want is a set of resistance bands. Obtaining those can be easy by simply asking your chiropractor or physical therapist in Brampton for a set.
Tips for Successful Workouts at Home
- Make sure you set aside time to exercise each day. Some people like exercising first thing in the morning. Other people like exercising in the afternoon. No matter when you like to exercise, do it at the same time each day.
- Wear the right clothing. But on some comfortable workout shorts, leggings, or other appropriate clothing. Don’t forget to get a pair of athletic shoes to protect your feet.
- Do some stretches before exercising to loosen up. One common cause for muscle cramps, pinched nerves, and torn ligaments, is not taking the time to stretch and warm up first before you exercise.
- Set realistic goals. The reason many people give up on exercising is their goals are too hard to reach. Start small, like with a goal to lose 5 pounds. Once you reach that goal, set another one.
- Review what exercise you can do with your chiropractor or physical therapist. If you are recovering from an injury or are prone to back problems, muscle problems, etc., speak to your chiropractor or physical therapist to find out what exercises they recommend.
Other Things to Keep Busy While Staying Safe
Besides exercising to help alleviate stress and anxiety, and stay healthy, other things you can do safely at home include:
- Start a Hobby: Find a hobby that sounds interesting and give it a try. Some people like growing box gardens. Other people discover the joys of painting. You may even want to try your hand at woodworking.
- Read a Book: Spend an hour or so, each day disconnected from electronics and social media. Turn off the TV, put the phone on silent or shut it off, and curl up in your favourite chair with a book.
- Spend Time on Your Patio or Deck: You can safely spend time outdoors and get fresh air from the comfort of your patio or deck. If you live in a condo or apartment, just check to make sure your neighbours aren’t too close when they are outside too.
- Start a Home Renovation Project: You could paint the walls a new colour or replace the flooring. You could even go all out and do a complete bathroom or kitchen renovation.
We hope our ideas help inspire you and get you thinking about even more things you can do to stay active, keep your mind busy, and remain safe.
For help maintaining your health using drug-free and nonsurgical solutions, as well as advice on exercising to reach your fitness goals, please feel free to contact Active Life Wellness Centerat (905) 458-6677 today!