PUBLISHED ON April 22, 2021
Acid reflux or GERD (Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease) is a condition where the acid in your stomach moves up the esophagus causing a burning sensation. The most common cause for acid reflux is when the esophageal sphincter does not function correctly,
You might be surprised to learn the esophageal sphincter is a muscle. If this muscle is weakened or injured in some manner it can open randomly to allow acid to flow backward out of the stomach, like when you lay down.
With growing concerns about using over-the-counter and prescription medications to manage GERD long-term, people are now looking for alternative options including chiropractic care in Brampton.
Symptoms of Acid Reflux
Some of the more common symptoms of acid reflux include:
- Problems swallowing due to pain.
- An acidic taste in your mouth.
- Acid, food, or liquids flowing upwards into your mouth unexpectedly.
- A burning sensation in your chest.
- Frequent bouts of heartburn.
Common Acid Reflux Causes
Several causes exist that could cause the esophageal sphincter to not function correctly, such as:
- Obesity – Excess weight puts added pressure on the esophageal sphincter and could cause it to open unexpectedly.
- Pregnancy – Women often experience acid reflux and heartburn while pregnant. The baby puts additional pressure on the esophageal sphincter causing it to release acid into the esophagus.
- Poor Dietary Habits – If you eat a lot of spicy foods and fatty foods, these can trigger heartburn and acid reflux.
- Hiatal Hernias – If you get Hiatal hernias, they can cause the stomach to press up on the esophagus, which can cause the esophageal sphincter to open.
Chiropractic Care for Acid Reflux
Chiropractic care helps restore the balance between the musculoskeletal and nervous systems. The nervous system consists of an intricate network of nerves that controls a wide range of functions within the body.
When there are problems with the nervous system, messages are not being sent correctly from the brain. Since the messages are never received, the nerves will not function correctly and create various types of dysfunctions that can lead to health problems.
Acid reflux is one such problem that has been linked to interference within the nervous system. The nerves that help send signals to the esophageal sphincter have been traced to a nerve pathway that travels up and down the spine.
Surprisingly enough, when a person has back and spinal problems, it is not uncommon for them to also experience problems with heartburn and acid reflux. Obtaining chiropractic care can help remove this interference so the brain can communicate correctly with the nerves that regulate the esophageal sphincter.
Furthermore, chiropractic care can incorporate various diet changes to help provide relief from acid reflux. Your chiropractor could even prescribe various exercise techniques to help strengthen the esophageal sphincter muscle, so it functions correctly.
Most patients that use chiropractic care for acid reflux start to notice a reduction of acid reflux bouts within a few months. Some patients even recovery fully from acid reflux.
If you have acid reflux and are looking for a safe and holistic treatment method, you could benefit from chiropractic care. Please feel free to contact Active Life Wellness Center Brampton at (905) 458-6677 to schedule an appointment with one of our chiropractors today!